Friday, January 16, 2009

Armed Forces Museum Reception

Last night, I drove back to Hattiesburg to attend the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum's reception and ceremony to honor those individuals who have contributed stories and artifacts to the museum. If you've never visited the Armed Forces Museum at Camp Shelby, I greatly recommend it. Besides having stirring stories of heroism from Mississippians involved in defending America, there is an impressive collection of war memorabilia dating back to the War of 1812. The exhibits are also top-notch, with many audio and visual effects you might expect only in larger markets.

I also met Vera Anderson McDonald, who during World War II, won the National Women's Welding Champion the first two years it was held. She served as the inspiration for the "Rosie the Riveter" posters. Actually, it was the second time I had met her- the first was going door-to-door in her neighborhood during the 2007 campaign. Her actual trophy from the 40s is on display at the museum.

It was also an honor to meet Mr. George Robert Hall, who was a Vietnam POW for 7 1/2 years. He was captured in 1965 and released in 1973. We actually had a few things in common. His father, Stanton A. Hall, held the same House seat that I now hold. His father went on to serve as a state senator and judge. An even great coincidence was that Mr. Hall was born in the same house on South 21st Avenue that Kate and I now reside.

If you haven't visited the Armed Forces Museum, again, I strongly recommend it. Take Highway 49 South to Camp Shelby, entering at the north gate.

1 comment:

Heidi Pitre said...

I love The Armed Forces Museum. I feel it is just as impressive as the D-day Museum in New Orleans.

It's a hidden secret here. I feel many more people would benefit from it if they: a) knew it was there, and b) made the effort to go.

Definitely worth the trip!